Thursday, November 13, 2008

repairs, re-sizing, and re........


I've never really advertised it, but I do repair work and re-sizing of rings. I get some gorgeous old pieces that were a great Grandmothers or have some other storied past. This is part of the reason I've never advertised this aspect of my work. It can be really nerve-racking putting a blow torch to something that, in essence, is priceless. But it has to be done, no accidents have been had, and (knock on wood) hopefully it stays that way. I've never thought to photograph any of the amazing antiques that have passed through my work shop, because they weren't my creations. However, this blog gives me a new medium that isn't my official portfolio (website) to show a few such pieces. Times have changed in the world of jewellery, I stamp my work with 18k, 14k, 92.5 (for sterling silver), and so on, as well as either DuKo or my logo (the D in the diamond). But a hundred years ago the markings inside a ring could be much more elaborate. I took this piece to be appraised for my client and the markings inside (copied down on paper behind the piece) dated the ring and gave us some additional interesting information. Pick through your old jewellery, it's not too expensive to have a ring re-sized to fit you. Appraisals are also cheap, you may be sitting on a small fortune, find out some interesting family history or come across a "hidden gem".

No comments: